Tuesday 16 December 2008

Top Ten Albums of 2008

Surprisingly some pretty good albums came out this year hidden beneath the shit that I've come to expect.


#10 The Dresden Dolls - No Virginia
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I like this band for many reasons, not just because I'd probably plug the singer/pianist Amanda Palmer
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I much prefer this album to Yes, Virginia aswell although this is ment to be outtakes from that album.



#9 The Brian Jonestown Massacre - My Bloody Underground
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The Brian Jonestown Massacre are nothing short of epic. Anton Newcomb is nothing short of a genius. But I can't help but say I'm slightly dissapointed with this album, although it oozes with quality at times some songs such as 'Who Cares Why' just seem to go on far longer than they have to which makes it hard for me to listen to the full song which is extremley unusual for me. However despite it's faults great songs such as 'We Are The Niggers Of The World' and 'Yeah-Yeah' easily make up for them.



#8 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Effects of 333
(can't find album artwork)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If your expecting this album to fit in with the rest of 'BRMC' you will be disappointed if your open minded you'll be stoked.



#7 Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 8; Tell Tale Signs
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I must admit I am a very big fan of Bob Dylan and love the bootleg series. It blows my mind to see that a series of outtakes, unreleased, rare and live tracks can make better albums than most artists will ever achieve. It's hard to believe that some of these tracks didn't make it onto the studio albums they were made for example after listening to a third version of 'Mississippi' you have to wonder what Dylan was playing at leaving it off 'Time Out Of Mind' I can't help but feel I would have prefered it to 'Highlands' for the closing track of the album.

All of the live tracks on the album are amazing and have renewed my determination to see Dylan live before the chance is missed. This album easily lives up to the quality that people have come to expect from Dylan.



#6 Jakob Dylan - Seeing Things
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I first heard Jakob Dylan in the band 'The Wallflowers' and it wasn't until I heard he was bringing out a solo album that I discovered he was the son of Bob Dylan. I was immediately excited and wasn't disappointed one bit when it came out. Your attention is grabbed immediately by the opening track 'Evil is Alive and Well', which is followed by what in my opinion is easily the best song on the record 'Valley of the Low Sun' which is a thoroughly outstanding.

Although I was quite fond of the wallflowers there is something about this album that I don't think Dylan ever would have achieved with them.





#5 The Mountain Goats- Heretic Pride
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I admit I've never really gave 'The Mountain Goats' a chance until quite recently and I was pleasantly surprised to find they are great. Unfortunately I can't compare it to there earlier work as I've never really heard enough of it, but if the earlier albums are anywhere near the quality of this one then I have a feeling I won't be disappointed by them.




#4 Dead Meadow- Old Growth
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Fix your self a strong drink sit back and play it fucking loud.




#3 M83 - Saturdays=Youth
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Death is her boyfriend
She spits on summers and smiles to the night
She collects crowns made of black roses
But her heart is made of bubble gum





#2 Darker My Love - 2
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
When Tim Presley was asked which genre his band fell under he replied 'We don’t want to fall under any blanket … blankets smother you.' So I wont try and give it one. I strongly suggest giving this band a listen especially this album(much preferable to the last). The album artwork is by lead guitarist/vocalist Tim Presley and would probably have got the album into the list even if I didn't like there music.





#1 Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I love Crystal Castles. I love Alice Glass. I'd probably even give Ethan Kath a tug. This album is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment.